Hildersham, a small narrow parish of 616 hectares, straddles the valley of the Granta between the chalk uplands followed by the Cambridge-Colchester Roman road to the north & the Essex border to the south. These parish boundaries are respectively more than 80m & 100m above sea level, but the village itself is on lower-lying gravel & alluvial soils at about 30m, built on either side of the small winding river.
The parish included considerable areas of woodland in the “Doomsday Book” & throughout the ‘Middle Ages’, including Hildersham Wood which still exists on the Essex border. Close to the river are meadows that were used as Common Land. There are also a few high-points such as Furze Hill where the chalk is capped with clay & gravel.
Hildersham was the last parish in Cambridgeshire to be Enclosed, following an Act made in 1887.
In 1086 it was known as Hildricesham, “the village of Hildic”.
Here at Hildersham we have a small group of enthusiasts that make up the Hildersham History Recorders, if you would like help with any Family, Local, Social or Church History enquiries at Hildersham, please feel free to contact our Secretary or ring 01223 892430 or click here for an enquiries form. We are always more than willing to help and have available a transcribed full set of digital Hildersham Census and parish registers.
In Cambridgeshire we are extremely lucky to have two fantastic depositories of local records, these are the Cambridgeshire Collection currently located at the Cambridge Central Library and Cambridgeshire Archives at Shire Hall, Castle hill, Cambridge.
A lot of their records can now be found on their online search facility called "CALM". To have a look at some of the records held at the Cambridgeshire Archves relating to Hildersham why not click here.