You can see more Hildersham photos and Hildersham History articles, as the Hildersham History Recorders are members of the highly successful Cambridgeshire Community Archive Network (CCAN). To see this website click on Hildersham CAN
Please click on this image to go to the Hildersham CAN website
CCAN was developed with the support of a Heritage grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) in 2006. The grant funded a two-year project led by Cambridgeshire County Council's (CCC) Libraries, Archives, and Information Service.
In 2008 at the end of the HLF funding period the CCAN groups came together and formed its own executive committee to look after the day to day administration of the group while maintaining its very strong links with the Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies service.
In 2013, the CCAN network moved to a new website, which has been provided by CommunitySites, one of the UK’s leading community history website providers. Each group has its own area of the website with its own URL, to see a full list of groups.
Currently the Cambridgeshire Community Archive Network (CCAN) is made up of 32 groups from towns and villages right across Cambridgeshire and today, together we are recording the local history of our county both from the past and from living history as it occurs day by day.
Hildersham families all turned out to gather in the vital Hay crop
In 1851, Gardner in his one off directory listed Hildersham as being of 1,450 acres, with 50 houses, miraculously, 119 women, and 119 men, with a total rateable value of £687.
Old Mr Sewell's cottage
In 1904, Kelly's Directory gave the following account of Hildersham
HILDERSHAM is a parish and pretty village on the river Granta, 1.5 miles north-west from the Linton station of the Cambridge and Melford branch of the Great Eastern railway, 9 south-east from Cambridge, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Chilford, Union and Petty sessional division of Linton, County Court district of Saffron Walden, Rural Deanery of Camps, and Archdeaconry and Diocese of Ely. The church of Holy Trinity is a building of rubble, chiefly in the ‘decorated style’, consisting of Chancel, Clerestoried Nave, Aisles, South Chantry, South Porch and a Western Tower of Early English date containing 3 Bells, presented to the church by the sisters of the rector: In the Chantry are two oaken effigies of Sir Robert Busteler and his wife; and some fine Brasses to their descendants Robert de Paris, of Caermarthen, ob. 1379, and his widow Alianora, with kneeling effigies besides a ‘floriated cross’; and to Henry Paris esq. Ob. 1466, with effigy in full armour under a mutilated canopy; there is also a small brass with knightly effigy in plate armour to Henry Paris, ob. 1427, and a skeleton figure in shroud, circa 1530: The Tower and Sacristy date from the 12th century, and the former contains an ancient ladder; there is an early octagonal Font: The Stained East window is a memorial to the late Rev. Charles Goodwin M.A. rector from 1806, and patron, and Sarah his wife: In the North and South Aisles are four fine Stained Windows of the 14th century, and there are others inserted in 1885, and also containing ‘Fragments of glass of Ancient date’:
Reredos designed by Charles Alban Buckler
The Reredos of Alabaster, executed from a design by Mr. C. A. Buckler, Architect, was a memorial gift to the church: The Nave and Chancel were new roofed in 1878, and the church was repaired in 1890, under the directions of Messrs. Buckler, Architects, of Oxford, the total cost amounting to over £2000: There are 200 sittings. The Register dates from the year 1559. The living is a Rectory, net yearly value £290, with residence and including 58 acres of ‘Glebe’, in the gift of the Misses Goodwin, and held since 1900 by the Rev. Philip Richard Phillips M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Hildersham Hall, the residence of the Hon. Mrs Thornton, stands in a park consisting of 70 acres, well wooded and containing a piece of ornamental water.
Hildersham Hall in 1880s
Denys Alexander Shine Lawlor Huddleston Esq. of Sawston Hall, is Lord of the Manor and principal landowner. The soil is Gravel and Chalk. The chief crops are Wheat, Barley and Oats. The area is 1,511 acres; rateable value, £1,506; the population in 1901 was 187.
Sexton: George Davy
Post, Parcel & Postal Order office: - Frederick French, Sub-Postmaster. Letters received through Cambridge, delivered at 7am & dispatched at 7.30pm. The nearest money order or telegraph office is Little Abington, 1.5 miles distant.
Public elementary school: enlarged & newly rebuilt in 1879-80, for 70 children; average attendance, 40; Miss Laura Thompson, Mistress